Sustainability program proudly presented by NOVA Chemicals, a Platinum Sponsor of the 2019 Canada Winter Games.
Sustainability is the concept of understanding and balancing the social, economic and environmental impacts and opportunities of the decisions we make.
2019 Canada Winter Games is committed to organizing an environmentally friendly, socially responsible and economically feasible event. The 2019 Canada Winter Games is compliant with the CSA Z2010-10 standard entitled Requirements and guidance for organizers of sustainable events. This standard is based on recommended sustainability practices, including principles related to accountability, community engagement, accessibility and benefits to the environment.
To deliver a sustainable event, the 2019 Canada Winter Games has six Core Sustainability themes:
- Mitigate Climate Change - Manage carbon or reduce impact on climate change, through attention to greenhouse gas emissions outputs and sourcing.
- Integrate Social and Community Planning - Collaborating with the City of Red Deer and other community agencies we will work to strengthen the community, enhance participation and reduce the impact the Games might have on the quality of life for individuals, families and the community.
- Manage Water Use - Minimize water waste and bottled water use.
- Minimize Waste - Divert as much waste from the landfill as possible during the Games.
- Source Local Food - Minimize packaging and transport of food sources from distances greater than 160 kilometres from Red Deer.
- Build or Adapt Facilities to Green Standards - Meet green buildings standards, incorporate sustainable land-use and smart growth principles.